[Kde-kiosk] Installing/configuring Kiosktool on network

Mike Knichel mike_knichel at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 17:38:36 CET 2008

Ok, so after fighting for a couple of hours, here is where I am...Nowhere.

I installed Kiosktool on a workstation and set up my "Ideal" settings for students.
I saved the profile as "Student"

I have a folder on the mounted server volume "/home" called kiosk (/home/kiosk) and it is currently chmod 777.

I do not know who should own the files in the profile ?  root or admin (both are local accounts on the workstation, admin has sudo privs).
Should the default also be stored on the server?

In Kiosktool, what should the settings be under "Configure Kiosk Admin Tool"?
Base Path ? (/home/kiosk/etc/kde-profile/ ?)
Upload on exit ? (same as above? )

--
Mike Knichel

> I am new to Kiosk.  I like what I see already.  I wish to create a profile and store it on a server then have my computers reference it so I don't have to create the profile on all of my computers in my lab.  Is this possible?

Why don't store local folders? In my opinion you don't want to rely on a
server/network connection for the clients.
I use it on 90-100 systems and if I change something to the profile, I
copy the new profile. Every evening all systems shutdown automatically
and in the morning when booted the new profiles are loaded.

I use it for a while now and haven't had any problems with it.
For copy I use a self-written tool, which uses SSH for copying the
profiles. All automatically, works great.

You can also download the profile @ boot/shutdown. Which you can also
use for diskless clients I guess. A network mount is also possible in
Linux. The profile folder isn't changed by any user, so you can mount it
@ boot, read only as /etc/kde-profile.