[Kde-kiosk] Installing/configuring Kiosktool on network

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Mar 13 17:43:17 CET 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 17:38:36 Mike Knichel wrote:
> I do not know who should own the files in the profile ?  root or admin
> (both are local accounts on the workstation, admin has sudo privs). Should
> the default also be stored on the server?

Anyone who can read the profile. Write access would be a bad idea since anyone
could modify the profile ;)

As far as storing them goes, any place that's accessible as a Unix file system
will do. So you can mount the profile dirs over NFS or local or wherever.
It's also up to you whether you mount on the default location, or instead
reconfigure KDE to look in another location.

> In Kiosktool, what should the settings be under "Configure Kiosk Admin
> Tool"? Base Path ? (/home/kiosk/etc/kde-profile/ ?)
> Upload on exit ? (same as above? )

Sounds right, but I haven't used kiosktool since quite a while.

What probably is missing on your side is /etc/kderc. That file is *outside*
the profile and should also be taken care of, since it is where KDE looks for
the profile mapping in the first place.

Note that kderc only contains the mapping from users and groups to profiles,
so it ought to change a lot less often. Storing it locally thus shouldn't be
a problem.

I know I am getting better at golf because I am hitting fewer
spectators. -Gerald R. Ford