[Kde-kiosk] kde-kiosk Digest, Vol 60, Issue 1

Mike Knichel mike_knichel at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 15:52:36 CET 2008

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I understand this correctly, I can create/edit the profile on a single computer.  Upload it to a server (say /server/home/kde_kiosk_profile)  and then point to that in the config for kde rather than /etc/kde-profile as long as /server/home is mounted and the kde_kiosk_profile is world readable ?

Then as I need to make changes, just do  so on the single computer that I started on?

--
Mike Knichel

> I am new to Kiosk.  I like what I see already.  I wish to create a profile and store it on a server then have my computers reference it so I don't have to create the profile on all of my computers in my lab.  Is this possible?

Why don't store local folders? In my opinion you don't want to rely on a
server/network connection for the clients.
I use it on 90-100 systems and if I change something to the profile, I
copy the new profile. Every evening all systems shutdown automatically
and in the morning when booted the new profiles are loaded.

I use it for a while now and haven't had any problems with it.
For copy I use a self-written tool, which uses SSH for copying the
profiles. All automatically, works great.

You can also download the profile @ boot/shutdown. Which you can also
use for diskless clients I guess. A network mount is also possible in
Linux. The profile folder isn't changed by any user, so you can mount it
@ boot, read only as /etc/kde-profile.