[Kde-kiosk] Rescrictions beyond kde-kiosk

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Jan 19 15:44:50 CET 2006

Hi Casey,

Sorry for the late answer, trying to address open mails on this list as nobody
else stepped up in the mean time.

On Friday 11 November 2005 21:02, Casey King wrote:
> I have been messing around with the Kde-kiosk, and I am pretty happy
> with what it can do.  I am still having problems with the menu still
> showing up evening the I have disabled every option for the rescricted
> user.  I have asked about the in previous posts, and it seems I need to
> remove the /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications.menu.  I really do not want
> to do this.  This creates more of an 'opportunity' from an
> administration standpoint.

See the other discussion on this list that today finally got some feedback.
That should hopefully help you out with the menu.

> Also, with firefox, I have downloaded, and installed the firefox kiosk,
> but am not sure what to do beyond that.  This is something I am going to
> spend some time on today.  I am only mentioning it, just in case someone
> has successfully implemented it, and would like to give me some advice.

I'm afraid it's rather the contrary -- if you've successfully done this we all
love to see a simple "howto"-like document to pass on to others. So far we
have very little on the topic of Firefox lockdown.

> Also, I am seeing many posts creating personal rescrictions, that the
> kiosk tool has not yet encompassed.  I really have no idea how to do
> this, or where I would put the settings once I have created them.  From
> the looks of it 'linuxgirlie' and others have a good grasp on this.  If
> I could only be 'nudged' in a general direction, I would surely
> appreciate it.

What exactly are you thinking of? Stuff that is not covered by the GUI of
KioskTool?

> Lastly, I am wishing to rescrict the user from being able to see the
> cd-rom drive.  I was hoping someone could give me an idea on how to
> rescrict this.  I see discussion on /mnt/cdrom..but again, I am not sure
> where to create and place custom rescrictions.

That indeed is the right thread. The file where you would put these
restrictions is called kdeglobals, which is in the same folder as all other
config files. (kdeglobals is read by all KDE applications, if you somehow
want to block cdrom access for only a single application you can store the
URL restrictions in that app's config file instead.)