[Kde-kiosk] KioskTool on x86_64 Suse9

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Nov 24 13:07:00 CET 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 12:27, Michael Manke wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. November 2005 10:49 schrieb Martijn Klingens:
> > On Wednesday 23 November 2005 23:43, Lon Gilbert wrote:
> > > I installed Novell's Linux Desktop v.9 sp2 and selected KDE. I was
> > > pleased to see the KDE admin tool included. But when I try to make
> > > changes to a profile I get a message "Could not make folder
> > > fish://[user]@localhost/etc/kde-profile/kiosk/share" .  Where did
> > > "fish" come from?
>
> It's the same what I have on SLES9 SP2 (AMD64).
>
> > That's the protocol that KioskTool uses to write its config files.
> >
> > Instead it could possibly be using sftp://, but that requires a running
> > SSH daemon that may need to allow root logins. Fish:// AFAIK works over
> > 'su' channels as well on the local host.
> >
> > Anyway, back to your problem, does [user] have the required permissions
> > to create this folder?
>
> KIOSK user is root, the configuration is the same on a second SLES9 (x86)
> and there it works.

A long time ago Verner Kjærsgaard wrote on this list:

   "Only if I (sux) run kiosktool as root, can I save stuff without the
   annoying "fish" bug ie., the first try at saving NEVER works, you must say
   "cancel"  and then "retry" for it to work. This does not happen when
   running kiosktool as root."

The bad thing is that it seemed to get worse, since later he wrote:

   "- I installed the latest Kiosk on SuSE10 and tried to work with it. Not
   very succesfully, the fish thing doesn't really work on SuSE as yet."

Other messages on this list with similar questions all seem to die open-ended,
with no answer. :(

So, if anyone knows and/or has time to investigate: please do so, would help
tremendously.

> An other problem on SLES9 SP2 (AMD64) is, that a new windows of
> applications are not activ , not on top. I must click on it in the taskbar
> (or in the visuable part of the new application behind other windows) to
> bring them in front. It does not depends from settings in my KDE.

This sounds like a problem with KWin's focus stealing prevention. CC-ing
Lubos, hopefully he knows more about this.