[Kde-kiosk] how to make kdm's "Menu" go away

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 17:31:48 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 04:47:34PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> I'm beginning to suspect that you should create desktop files in
> $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/sessions to shadow those in
> $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions based on the docs Mr Wiggles posted.

amazingly enough, this is exactly what you are supposed to do. :-)

> typical docs tend to repeat key items once or twice in slightly
> different wording and/or provide an example and/or use different
> markup. The KDM docs do neither.)

i know. i hate redundancy and find it highly annoying. some hyperlinks
within the doc seem like a good idea, though.

> > 3) disable session switching. oh, damn, this is impossible. :{
> >    i'm wondering whether this should be controlled with an explicit
> >    switch or whether it should be bound to some conditions (like, no
> >    other session currently running).
>
> Is it technically possible to have multiple sessions?

i don't understand the question, as the obvious interpretation just does
not make sense to me.

> Also, IIRC it is possible already to disable session switching at the
> KDE level (kdesktop, kscreensaver, kicker, ...), it makes sense to
> reuse the Kiosk setting.  That also negates the need for explicit
> configurability in KDM.

that would require kdm to read "foreign" config files, which isn't
exactly simple (see other mail i'll send shortly). another point to
consider: kdm and kde sessions are orthogonal to each other (almost ...).
intermixing their options won't make things exactly cleaner. also, to
me this feels like data flow in the wrong direction ... kdm supervises
the session, so it should define the options.