[Kde-kiosk] how to make kdm's "Menu" go away

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 21:10:14 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 17:31, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > typical docs tend to repeat key items once or twice in slightly
> > different wording and/or provide an example and/or use different
> > markup. The KDM docs do neither.)
>
> i know. i hate redundancy and find it highly annoying.

You're writing the docs for your audience and not for yourself though ;-)

(Needless to say the average audience skims the text rather than spelling it
out, and for good reason, since people have work to do, where reading a
manual is a means and not a goal...)

> some hyperlinks within the doc seem like a good idea, though.

That'd help a lot already, but it doesn't really help in making sure people
don't overlook the important items. Proper use of paragraphs and markup could
do this without really introducing redundant text though if you insist
against doing that.

> > > 3) disable session switching. oh, damn, this is impossible. :{
> > >    i'm wondering whether this should be controlled with an explicit
> > >    switch or whether it should be bound to some conditions (like, no
> > >    other session currently running).
> >
> > Is it technically possible to have multiple sessions?
>
> i don't understand the question, as the obvious interpretation just does
> not make sense to me.

No wonder, since this was a halfway complete thought that wasn't supposed to
end up in the mail like this ;-)

You said "no other session currently running," which made me wonder how you
could have multiple sessions running while the support for it is disabled in
kdm...

> that would require kdm to read "foreign" config files, which isn't
> exactly simple (see other mail i'll send shortly). another point to
> consider: kdm and kde sessions are orthogonal to each other (almost ...).

Yeah, I just realized that it's perfectly possible to have session switching
enabled for group PowerUsers and disabled for LUsers at the Kiosk profile
level.

So yes, you need a separate setting for this regardless.