[Kde-kiosk] how to make kdm's "Menu" go away

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 16:47:34 CEST 2005

Oswald Buddenhagen said:
> 1) remove (=hide) all session types but one

How ?

Mr Wiggles gave up (a miracle he even managed to cope with your attitude
this long...) and you still didn't document this part. I'm beginning to
suspect that you should create desktop files in
$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/sessions to shadow those in
$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions based on the docs Mr Wiggles posted.

(Either I overlooked a sentence, or my docs from SNV trunk are different,
but I missed a part when reading this last night. The fact that a mere
sentence is the clue to the problem is a sure sign that the docs are
inadequate though; typical docs tend to repeat key items once or twice in
slightly different wording and/or provide an example and/or use different
markup. The KDM docs do neither.)

> 3) disable session switching. oh, damn, this is impossible. :{
>    i'm wondering whether this should be controlled with an explicit
>    switch or whether it should be bound to some conditions (like, no
>    other session currently running).

Is it technically possible to have multiple sessions? Also, IIRC it is
possible already to disable session switching at the KDE level (kdesktop,
kscreensaver, kicker, ...), it makes sense to reuse the Kiosk setting.
That also negates the need for explicit configurability in KDM.