[Kde-kiosk] how to force users to log into KDE (modify KDM menu)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jun 21 19:31:12 CEST 2005

Mr Wiggles wrote:
>I thought KDE was the window manager

KDE is the name of the project. The Window Manager is called kwin.

>and KDM or XDM was just what
>loaded the window manager

That's right.

>and that kiosk was an app that loaded in KDE

No. Kiosk is the name of a technology, or a set of features, builtin to
the KDE programs and libraries.

>(and thus you could use whatever you wanted to LOAD KDE as long as it
>loaded KDE).

That is also correct. It doesn't matter what loads KDE, as long as it gets
loaded.

>The only reason I am using XDM is because someone on the novell suse
>forums suggested switching to that to avoid giving users the session
>type menu.

Right, but we can remove the menu as well and make it useable for you.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.