[Kde-kiosk] Problem with Applying Group Profiles to new Users

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Jan 15 19:42:13 CET 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 16:17, Murray Trainer wrote:
> Everything is fine setting up the profile in preview etc.  As I said, my
> locked down Kiosk profile works fine when it is applied to a group of
> existing users.  The problem is the Kiosk profile doesn't apply when
> adding new or existing users to the group.  If I remove the association
> of the kiosk profile to the group and reapply then the new members of
> the group get the locked down profile when they login.  I am using Suse
> 9.1 if that is any help.

With what KDE version is that? My laptop runs a self-compiled KDE, which works
fine with Kiosk, but the KDE that shipped with 9.1 is slightly too old to use
with user profiles and instead requires the use of $KDEDIRS to get things up
and running.

That said, since it works with some users for you I'd assume you already
upgraded to SuSE's supplementary updates or built your own KDE. While looking
for the command line that Waldo once mentioned for the 'kiosktool-kdedirs'
tool I noticed the attached e-mail.

Does that e-mail (and the rest of the thread in the list archives) look
familiar to you and help you any further? To me it seems like the same
problem. It's also remarkable that the mail mentions that profiles are being
added by UID rather than GID, which would also explain the behaviour you
describe. I quickly considered that option and dropped it since it should be
technically impossible, but apparently it can actually happen :/

Anyway, is that thread of any help?