[Kde-kiosk] Problem with Applying Group Profiles to new Users

Murray Trainer mtrainer at central-data.net
Sat Jan 15 16:17:30 CET 2005

Martijn Klingens wrote:

>On Friday 14 January 2005 09:55, Murray Trainer wrote:
>

>>No.  I configured a different kicker panel with no terminal access and
>>modified menus but the new users dont get that - they get the default
>>Suse kicker panel and full list of menu options.
>>

>That could also happen if there are files in /etc/skel or whatever skeleton
>dir your LDAP setup uses. Those end up in ~user and thus take precedence over
>anything else if it's not locked down. This is especially true for menus.
>
>Does kicker (and the menu) look ok if you use the Preview Panel option in
>kiosktool? It sounds to me like the files in SuSE's KDE dirs (/opt/kde3, and
>something in /usr/share IIRC) are still being used. You may need to prevent
>this from happening, but first you need to find out if this is indeed the
>case.

Everything is fine setting up the profile in preview etc.  As I said, my
locked down Kiosk profile works fine when it is applied to a group of
existing users.  The problem is the Kiosk profile doesn't apply when
adding new or existing users to the group.  If I remove the association
of the kiosk profile to the group and reapply then the new members of
the group get the locked down profile when they login.  I am using Suse
9.1 if that is any help.

Here is a listing of /etc/skel.  There is nothing in there that is a
problem.  Suse does by default run a KDE environment setup script -
maybe that is the problem?

# ls -l /etc/skel
total 14
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root  256 Dec  3 13:25 .
drwxr-xr-x  64 root root 6312 Jan 11 12:40 ..
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root  168 Dec  3 13:25 .ICAClient
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   48 Dec  3 13:10 .fonts
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  934 Dec  3 13:10 .profile
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 3055 Dec  3 13:10 .xinitrc.template
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   80 Dec  3 13:10 Documents
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   48 Dec  3 13:10 bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   80 Dec  3 13:10 public_html

>>It is like no profile  applies unless I re-apply the profile to the
>>group - then it works fine.
>>

>What do you mean with 're-apply the profile' btw? Just assigning the profile
>again from KioskTool? Or ... ?

Yes.