[Kde-kiosk] Problem with Applying Group Profiles to new Users

Murray Trainer mtrainer at central-data.net
Sun Jan 16 07:31:26 CET 2005

Martijn Klingens wrote:

>On Saturday 15 January 2005 16:17, Murray Trainer wrote:
>

>>Everything is fine setting up the profile in preview etc.  As I said, my
>>locked down Kiosk profile works fine when it is applied to a group of
>>existing users.  The problem is the Kiosk profile doesn't apply when
>>adding new or existing users to the group.  If I remove the association
>>of the kiosk profile to the group and reapply then the new members of
>>the group get the locked down profile when they login.  I am using Suse
>>9.1 if that is any help.
>>

>With what KDE version is that? My laptop runs a self-compiled KDE, which works
>fine with Kiosk, but the KDE that shipped with 9.1 is slightly too old to use
>with user profiles and instead requires the use of $KDEDIRS to get things up
>and running.

I am using KDE 3.3.0 and the latest Kiosk-Tool from the website.  I did
not have to set the $KDEDIRS var to make it work on KDE 3.3.0.

>That said, since it works with some users for you I'd assume you already
>upgraded to SuSE's supplementary updates or built your own KDE. While looking
>for the command line that Waldo once mentioned for the 'kiosktool-kdedirs'
>tool I noticed the attached e-mail.
>
>Does that e-mail (and the rest of the thread in the list archives) look
>familiar to you and help you any further? To me it seems like the same
>problem. It's also remarkable that the mail mentions that profiles are being
>added by UID rather than GID, which would also explain the behaviour you
>describe. I quickly considered that option and dropped it since it should be
>technically impossible, but apparently it can actually happen :/
>
>Anyway, is that thread of any help?

The problem below doesn't look like the same problem I am getting as I
can successfully apply a Kiosk-tool profile to a group.  It is only
users added to the group that don't get the Kiosk profile applied.  I
thought it may be a problem with the ACL's on my LDAP directory but I
made it open and I still get the problem.  I will do some testing using
local users/groups on the Kiosk tool machine to see if it is an LDAP
issue and report back the results.