[Kde-kiosk] Problem with Applying Group Profiles to new Users

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Jan 14 10:34:44 CET 2005

On Friday 14 January 2005 09:55, Murray Trainer wrote:
> No.  I configured a different kicker panel with no terminal access and
> modified menus but the new users dont get that - they get the default
> Suse kicker panel and full list of menu options.

That could also happen if there are files in /etc/skel or whatever skeleton
dir your LDAP setup uses. Those end up in ~user and thus take precedence over
anything else if it's not locked down. This is especially true for menus.

Does kicker (and the menu) look ok if you use the Preview Panel option in
kiosktool? It sounds to me like the files in SuSE's KDE dirs (/opt/kde3, and
something in /usr/share IIRC) are still being used. You may need to prevent
this from happening, but first you need to find out if this is indeed the
case.

> It is like no profile  applies unless I re-apply the profile to the
> group - then it works fine.

What do you mean with 're-apply the profile' btw? Just assigning the profile
again from KioskTool? Or ... ?

> My users as well as being in LDAP have their home directory
> mounted via NFS from a backend server - this may be relevant.  The KDE
> Kiosk tool and profiles are on the front-end machine my users actually
> login to.

I don't think it makes much difference from the Kiosk and KDE point of view.
It does make your overall setup much more complicated to troubleshoot of
course, but that's life. ;-)