[Kde-kiosk] Problem with Applying Group Profiles to new Users

Murray Trainer mtrainer at central-data.net
Fri Jan 14 09:55:59 CET 2005

Martijn Klingens wrote:

>On Thursday 13 January 2005 15:56, Murray Trainer wrote:
>

>>My users and groups are in an ldap directory.  I created a locked down
>>profile and applied it to a group.  That works fine with users already
>>in the group but when I add an existing user to that group or create a
>>new user with membership of the group they don't get a locked down
>>profile.  I have to re-apply the profile to the group before it takes
>>effect on my new members of the group.  I would expect any new member of
>>the group should get the profile applied automatically.  Not sure if
>>this is a problem with ldap groups only or local posix groups as well.
>>Is this a known issue?
>>

>It's not clear from your mail, but I think your new users do get the lockdown
>restrictions properly applied and only your preconfigured settings are lost,
>right?

No.  I configured a different kicker panel with no terminal access and
modified menus but the new users dont get that - they get the default
Suse kicker panel and full list of menu options.  It is like no profile
applies unless I re-apply the profile to the group - then it works
fine.  My users as well as being in LDAP have their home directory
mounted via NFS from a backend server - this may be relevant.  The KDE
Kiosk tool and profiles are on the front-end machine my users actually
login to.

>This is because many settings end up in the user's $KDEHOME (~/.kde by
>default) after you have run an application. Currently an application's
>configuration setting is written out to disk if it differs from the
>compiled-in application default IIRC. In practice this means that almost all
>settings in profiles that are not locked down are quickly overridden by local
>user profiles.
>
>Although I'd like it if KDE would not save changes that are no different from
>the 'base' configuration rather than the compilation defaults, and/or if KDE
>would apply changes made in the profile upon next logon, neither of those is
>possible at the moment. In fact, such a feature is quite a technological
>challenge, so I doubt if even KDE 4 will see it.

I dont think the above is related as new users have the problem the
first time they login to their newly created home directory.  There is
no .kde directory or other app config directories in /etc/skel.