[Kde-kiosk] Fixed screen saver, how-to

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Jan 6 15:19:20 CET 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 14:27, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Torsdag den 6. januar 2005 14:03 skrev Waldo Bastian:
> > On Thursday 06 January 2005 14:02, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > - until I get kiosktool to work, I desperately need to lock the screen
> > > saver to blank_screen for all users.
> > > - where would I do that, i.e. what file(s) to edit ??
> >
> > kdesktoprc:
> >
> > [ScreenSaver]
> > Saver[$i]=KBlankscreen.desktop
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Waldo
>
> Hi list and Waldo,
>
> - thank you!
>
> - that did it! I edited
> /var/lib/kde-profiles/profile2/share/config/kdesktoprc as per instructed.
> And I noticed that the [$i] that does the trick was NOT in place despite I
> told kiosktool to lock down the screensavers. Anyway, I'm smiling now :-)

Will look into that.

> Would it not be possible to setup a desktop with all icons, backgrounds,
> colours and all, and then copy the /home/user/.kde/share/config/ files
> to /var/lib/kde-profiles/profile2/share/config and then manually insert the
> locking [$i] in all proper places in all files?

Yes, but you may need to copy entries on a key per key basis if you already
had configuration files in your profile.

> As I've read the KDE documentation, a "[$i]" in a section-header blocks all
> in that section, whereas a "[$i]" in lines in a section block that
> particular feature?

Yes.

> I think our problems are caused by the fact that our system runs with
> "secure" file permissions on SuSE9.2, not "easy" or "paranoid". I'll have
> to look into it.

I will look into that as well.

> Also, should I not be able to do a "xhost +", su to root
> and fire up kiosktool manually?

That doesn't work too well because kiosktool will then not know how to exit
your personal panel or desktop when you want to set that up for the profile.

You could login as root (in kdm) and then run kiosktool, that should work.

bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download
bastian at suse.com  |   http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html