[Kde-kiosk] Fixed screen saver, how-to

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Thu Jan 6 14:27:34 CET 2005

Torsdag den 6. januar 2005 14:03 skrev Waldo Bastian:
> On Thursday 06 January 2005 14:02, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > - until I get kiosktool to work, I desperately need to lock the screen
> > saver to blank_screen for all users.
> > - where would I do that, i.e. what file(s) to edit ??
>
> kdesktoprc:
>
> [ScreenSaver]
> Saver[$i]=KBlankscreen.desktop
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

Hi list and Waldo,

- thank you!

- that did it! I edited /var/lib/kde-profiles/profile2/share/config/kdesktoprc
as per instructed. And I noticed that the [$i] that does the trick was NOT in
place despite I told kiosktool to lock down the screensavers. Anyway, I'm
smiling now :-)

Would it not be possible to setup a desktop with all icons, backgrounds,
colours and all, and then copy the /home/user/.kde/share/config/ files
to /var/lib/kde-profiles/profile2/share/config and then manually insert the
locking [$i] in all proper places in all files?

As I've read the KDE documentation, a "[$i]" in a section-header blocks all in
that section, whereas a "[$i]" in lines in a section block that particular
feature?

I think our problems are caused by the fact that our system runs with "secure"
file permissions on SuSE9.2, not "easy" or "paranoid". I'll have to look into
it. Also, should I not be able to do a "xhost +", su to root and fire up
kiosktool manually?

--
Verner Kjærsgaard

Open Source Academy