[Kde-kiosk] newbie- Library Computer running SuSE 9.2 Pro

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Apr 10 12:48:02 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 05:14, BRIAN MOSES wrote:
> My local librarian is interested in Linux. The local
> library's were gifted computers from the 'Gates"
> foundation last year but all the CD-rom's are locked.
> She would like to have a computer onsite that the
> patrons can use to view multi media cd's..like
> National Geographic sells and such and she is also
> interested in the edutainment games that are written
> for Linux.
>
> I've locked most of the desktop down with Kiosk Admin
> tool but I need a way for them to view the cd's
> without also viewing the root tree. Same with the
> floppy drive, they will need to read/write without
> being able to mess around much in the file manager.

You can add URL restrictions to restrict where they can go with the file
manager. See below. The Kiosk Admin Tool doesn't fully support that yet, so
you will have to make the changes manually in the kdeglobals file.

KDE3 URL Restrictions
=====================

It is also possible to restrict URL related actions. The restriction framework
can disable URL actions based on the action, the URL in question and in some
cases the referring URL. URLs can be matched based on protocol, host and
path.

The syntax for adding URL action restrictions to kdeglobals is as follows:

[KDE URL Restrictions]
rule_count=<N>
rule_1=<action>,<referingURL_protocol>,<referingURL_host>,<referingURL_path>,<URL_protocol>,<URL_host>,<URL_path>,<enabled>
rule_N=<action>,<referingURL_protocol>,<referingURL_host>,<referingURL_path>,<URL_protocol>,<URL_host>,<URL_path>,<enabled>

The following actions are supported:

list     - This controls which directories can be browsed with KDE's
	file-dialogs. If a user should only be able to browse files under home
	directory one could use:
              rule_1=list,,,,file,,,false
              rule_2=list,,,,file,,$HOME,true
	The first rule disables browing any directories on the local filesystem. The
	second rule then enables browsing the users home directory.

open     - This controls which files can be opened by the user in
	applications. It also affects where users can save files. To only allow a
	user to open the files in his own home directory one could use:
              rule_1=open,,,,file,,,false
              rule_2=open,,,,file,,$HOME,true
              rule_3=open,,,,file,,$TMP,true
	Note that with the above, users would still be able to open files from
	the internet. Note that the user is also given access to $TMP in order to
	ensure correct operation of KDE applications. $TMP is replaced with the
	temporary directory that KDE uses for this user.

Some remarks:
* empty entries match everything
* host names may start with a wildcard, e.g. "*.acme.com"
* a protocol also matches similar protocols that start with the same name,
  e.g. "http" matches both http and https. You can use "http!" if you only
  want to match http (and not https)
* specifying a path matches all URLs that start with the same path. For better
  results you should not include a trailing slash. If you want to specify one
  specific path, you can add an exclamation mark. E.g. "/srv" matches both
  "/srv" and "/srv/www" but "/srv!" only matches "/srv" and not "/srv/www".