[Kde-kiosk] Kiosktool Wishlist: Set profile based on environment variable.

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Tue Sep 14 20:13:28 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 17:12, Martijn Dekkers wrote:
> For a variety of issue, we do not use NFS. I hope to persuade the
> client to use AFS at some point, but this migration is too big for
> them to deal with just now. Intermezzo is interesting, but there is
> very little real work happening there, and i read somewhere recently
> that it is being dropped from the kernel (due to lack of work being
> done on it)

Hmm, that sucks, because the idea of intermezzo is really nice. I just looked
up the article on cluster filesystems in a Linux Magazine that I took from
the KDE developer conference (don't have the mag at work, so I couldn't do
this this afternoon), but it seems those are more aimed at clusters rather
than workstation networks. :(

At least I don't see a use for LUSTRE, GPFS, PVFS as they distribute the
system across a whole cluster. Not sure about OpenGFS, but it seems
non-appropriate as well.

So, summarizing your issue:

You're using CIFS (but could be using other 'traditional' network filesystems
for that matter), but due to the need of having data available offline you
can't use the networked volume directly and instead need to rely on locally
copied user profiles/home dirs, right?

Is there any way this can be avoided in the future? Anything KDE can do here?
My personal feeling is that without intermezzo or an alternative we're
basically out of luck, but you clearly did more research on the matter, so
perhaps you know?