[Kde-kiosk] Kiosktool Wishlist: Set profile based on environment variable.

Martijn Dekkers martijn.dekkers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 17:12:28 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I would strongly suggest you to use a real network file system like NFS or one
> of the more recent filesystems that have offline copies like intermezzo
> (http://www.inter-mezzo.org/).

For a variety of issue, we do not use NFS. I hope to persuade the
client to use AFS at some point, but this migration is too big for
them to deal with just now. Intermezzo is interesting, but there is
very little real work happening there, and i read somewhere recently
that it is being dropped from the kernel (due to lack of work being
done on it)

The client has been using SAMBA for file and print for a long time,
and we have just upgraded their core F/P servers to Samba 3.0.7, and
we will be using the CIFS client to talk to it.

This is a fairly substantial project, and in due course (i.e. when it
is succesfully deployed)  we will be doing some press releases about
it - it is a fairly high-profile client, and it would be the first all
user linux desktop migration of its kind here. SUSE / Novell have
played a (minor) role in this project and will case-study it when we
go live.

What I can say now that is is based on KDE, and extensively uses the
kiosk stuff, something we will be sure to mention at case study time.