[Kde-kiosk] Kiosktool Wishlist: Set profile based on environment variable.

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Sep 14 18:10:31 CEST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 09:51, Erik Forsberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a wish list item for Kiosk tool - I'd like to set profiles for
> a user based on an environment variable, as an additional way to
> determine profile besides setting it per user och per group.
>
> This would be useful in situtations where a user is presented with
> several choices at login, for example a "low bandwidth desktop" and a
> "high bandwidth desktop".
>
> I don't know how hard this would be to implement? I guess the profile
> selection is done by KDE itself, not by kiosktool?

Correct.

You can use shell-expansion and command execution in /etc/kde-user-profile
and e.g. /etc/kde3rc as explained in
http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/config_file.php#shell_expansion

> Could this be accomplished by running a utility that sets KDEDIRS and
> points it at the correct profile?

Yes. That's also an option. In KDE 3.3 a good place to put such utility is
$KDEDIR/env/yourUtility.sh

> How would that interact with the
> profile selection inside KDE?

The profiles specified in KDEDIRS will be added in addition to those selected
based on user or group. The profiles selected based on user or group will
have a higher priority though (in case of conflict).

bastian at kde.org  |   Novell BrainShare Europe 2004   |  bastian at suse.com
bastian at kde.org  | 12-18 September, Barcelona, Spain |  bastian at suse.com