[Kde-kiosk] Kiosktool Wishlist: Set profile based on environment variable.

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Tue Sep 14 16:24:07 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 11:40, Martijn Dekkers wrote:
> > As for KDE, I think we should use a similar behaviour, so a paranoid
> > admin can set the cache to zero or one entry.
>
> It would be nice if you can leave it up to PAM. PADL have developed a
> PAM module to do just that: http://www.padl.com/OSS/pam_ccreds.html
> looks like a nifty system and will soon be getting my hands dirty with
> it.

With KDE I was referring to "not Windows" than KDE specifically. Any
downstream component would do of course; in fact it would be even better.

> Well, I am currently doing a deployment of Linux/KDE for a 1000 user
> customer. central profiles are the only way to go - people will move
> between machines often, but will only be allowed to log into one
> machine at a time. Cleverly cached profiles and data are a key feature
> of being able to work in a disconnected fashion (my client will have
> laptops as well as tablets) . However, as this will be all be done on
> Linux, not windows, I don't think there will be much trouble in the
> way of stuff not syncing etc. :-)

I would strongly suggest you to use a real network file system like NFS or one
of the more recent filesystems that have offline copies like intermezzo
(http://www.inter-mezzo.org/).