[Kde-kiosk] Kiosktool Wishlist: Set profile based on environment variable.

Martijn Dekkers martijn.dekkers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:40:20 CEST 2004

Hi,

> As for KDE, I think we should use a similar behaviour, so a paranoid admin can
> set the cache to zero or one entry.

It would be nice if you can leave it up to PAM. PADL have developed a
PAM module to do just that: http://www.padl.com/OSS/pam_ccreds.html
looks like a nifty system and will soon be getting my hands dirty with
it.

> So far cached credentials. Cached profiles is something that's more annoying
> than useful. I'm often logged on to several servers and having a local
> profile rather than working on a shared central profile is highly frustrating
> at times. Even worse is it when Windows decides not to sync roaming profiles
> on logout, which happens annoyingly often for me and our users.

Well, I am currently doing a deployment of Linux/KDE for a 1000 user
customer. central profiles are the only way to go - people will move
between machines often, but will only be allowed to log into one
machine at a time. Cleverly cached profiles and data are a key feature
of being able to work in a disconnected fashion (my client will have
laptops as well as tablets) . However, as this will be all be done on
Linux, not windows, I don't think there will be much trouble in the
way of stuff not syncing etc. :-)