[Kde-kiosk] Kiosktool Wishlist: Set profile based on environment variable.

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Mon Sep 13 19:38:05 CEST 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 18:19, Martijn Dekkers wrote:
> > Not from a security and manageability standpoint. Windows servers for
> > example usually do not permit user logons other than the administrator
> > when the Domain Controller cannot be contacted.
>
> When a DC is not online, users usually log in with cached credentials
> and a cached profile - a feature I am working hard to recreate for
> Linux. Laptops, for example, would be unusable as domain members if
> this was not the case.

Hmm, I had an issue last week with someone at work who could not log on to a
server because the DC was unavailable. I just looked into it and it seems
you're right that there's a cache, but due to the limited size it's of little
value on servers where several people log on to. The setting is governed by
the "Number of previous logons to cache" policy setting under Windows, which
defaults to 10 cached logons. For workstations that's fine, as you're usually
the only person working on them.

As for KDE, I think we should use a similar behaviour, so a paranoid admin can
set the cache to zero or one entry.

So far cached credentials. Cached profiles is something that's more annoying
than useful. I'm often logged on to several servers and having a local
profile rather than working on a shared central profile is highly frustrating
at times. Even worse is it when Windows decides not to sync roaming profiles
on logout, which happens annoyingly often for me and our users.