[Kde-kiosk] KDE 3.2 desktop filepath changes

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Mar 10 21:42:17 CET 2004

On Wed March 10 2004 19:58, Russell Brown wrote:
> Waldo replied most speedily to my question thusly:
> >On Wed March 10 2004 16:26, Russell Brown wrote:
> >> So.  How do I control what appears on the desktop menus in KDE 3.2
> >> **WITHOUT** changing the distribution files in
> >> /usr/share/applications/kde
> >
> >The easiest way is to edit /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
> >or $KDEDIR/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
> >and/or copy it to ~/.config/menus/applications.menu and edit it there.
>
> O....K.....  but option a) is changing the distro files (undesirable)
> and c) is changing the users configuration (also undesirable and
> potentially lots of effort).
>
> Option b) looked good but doesn't seem to work; as this bit of a session
> shows:
>
>  build:~> echo $KDEDIRS  # included just to check $KDEDIR wasn't a typo
>  /conf/localkde/:/conf/llskde/:/usr/
>  build:~> echo $KDEDIR
>  /conf/llskde/
>  build:~> kde-config --path xdgconf-menu
>  /home/xtest/.config/menus/:/eyc/xdg/menus/
>  build:~>
>
> So is option b) broken in 3.2 or am I doing something stupid again?

[Note that kde-config doesn't show directories that don't exist, but I guess
that's not the problem here]

I wasn't totally accurate. The correct locations are given by
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/menus/applications.menu and
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/menus/applications.menu

And the default for $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is:
	/etc/xdg
	@KDEDIR@/etc/xdg/

With @KDEDIR@ the compiled in default for $KDEDIR

And the default for $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is:
	$HOME/.config

So in practice the default locations are equal to
	/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
	$KDEDIR/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

but to in order to use different locations you need to set $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

See also http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html

In particular, when you set $KDEDIRS, you typically want to set both
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and $XDG_DATA_DIRS accordingly as well.

- --
bastian at kde.org -=|[ SUSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian at suse.com

"IBM may, in any manner it sees fit and without royalty to SCO,
 distribute any Licensed IBM Materials contained in the SCO Products"
From: Joint Development Agreement between the SCO, Inc. and
      International Business Machines Corporation
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/851560/0000891618-99-000561.txt