[Kde-kiosk] Making configuration read only

Micha Kersloot micha at kovoks.nl
Mon Mar 15 15:49:19 CET 2004

Hi,

I have a debian installation with KDE3.2 and i want to use it in an
internet cafe. I was thinking that i could configure a user just with
the possibilities that i like and then make the configuration
read-only.

This does not work for some reason. Even the README.Kiosk talks about:
[KDE Action Restrictions]
warn_config_unwritable=false

Example:
chown root.root /home/user/.kde/share/config/kickerrc
chmod 644 /home/user/.kde/share/config/kickerrc
   and add the two lines mentioned above to kickerrc.

But this gives me errors from kicker that it's not able to write to the
file (which is fine, just the error is wrong).

Is my approach possible after all or should i takle this from an other
direction?

Greetings,

Micha Kersloot
http://www.kovoks.nl/