[Kde-kiosk] KDE 3.2 desktop filepath changes

Russell Brown russell at lls.lls.com
Wed Mar 10 19:58:26 CET 2004

Waldo replied most speedily to my question thusly:

>On Wed March 10 2004 16:26, Russell Brown wrote:
>> So.  How do I control what appears on the desktop menus in KDE 3.2
>> **WITHOUT** changing the distribution files in /usr/share/applications/kde
>
>The easiest way is to edit /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
>or $KDEDIR/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
>and/or copy it to ~/.config/menus/applications.menu and edit it there.

O....K.....  but option a) is changing the distro files (undesirable)
and c) is changing the users configuration (also undesirable and
potentially lots of effort).

Option b) looked good but doesn't seem to work; as this bit of a session
shows:

 build:~> echo $KDEDIRS  # included just to check $KDEDIR wasn't a typo
 /conf/localkde/:/conf/llskde/:/usr/
 build:~> echo $KDEDIR
 /conf/llskde/
 build:~> kde-config --path xdgconf-menu
 /home/xtest/.config/menus/:/eyc/xdg/menus/
 build:~>

So is option b) broken in 3.2 or am I doing something stupid again?

Please tell me we havn't gone backwards and are now forced to edit the
distro files or zillions of users .config/menus/applications.menu ?

--
 Regards,
     Russell