[Kde-kiosk] User Profiles, problems with

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Wed Jun 16 14:40:56 CEST 2004

Hi

-first, thanks for a most promissing piece of really usefull software!

- I can't seem to get it to work, though. I'm on SuSE9.1, KDE3.2.3 and KIOSK
v0.5, all brand new.

If, say, I define a "profile1", this profile gets written
to /etc/kde-profiles/profile1/... and so forth. I've checked, it's there ok.
I now take an existing user, "tb", and using the user manager I define this
user to use "profile1" when logging in.

Am I right so far?

Only, nothing happens to user "tb", his got his all usual KDE. It's as if KDE
is not looking into /etc/kde-profiles/profile1 to get the settings. Is there
a place in which I can tell KDE to look after this directory?

For new users, could I copy the /etc/kde-profiles/profile1/* to /etc/skel/?
Thus new users, would be set up as I want them ?

Anyhow, this sw looks great. Imagine its power if you've got one central
server (in a school) and a pile of thin clients. You're now in full control
over the desktop of every user -and that's in the most elegant way
imagineable! Thanks again!