[Kde-kiosk] path, files, mode

Ask Holme ask at eternal-newbie.dk
Wed Jun 2 19:05:51 CEST 2004

Austin Longino <longinoa at mail.cm.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Ive dug around the archives, and google, and some seperate forums but i
> have a few questions.
> 1) Where should the install path be for kiosktool?
> 2) Where is the base kdeglobals file at?
> 3) Do I need to have some sort of mode, in an old piece of documentation
> for kiosk mode you had to export KDE_MODE="restricted"?
>
> Im relativley new to kde, but familar w/ linux. I have the settings that
> i want in kiosktool, but can not for the life of me get them to stick
> for the user i want it to. What files does kiosktool modify? where in
> the instalation path does it modify them?
As i know kiosktool modifies /etc/kderc og /etc/kde-profiles(dir) under
the profiles dir it places lockdowned config files. however I never got the
/etc/kderc approach to work. If you just need a systemwide lockdown i
can recommend to look at the files in /etc/kde-profiles and then manualy
move them into the global kde config dir which in my case (gentoo) was
/usr/kde/3.2/share/config/ . Please note that placing a global lockdown
([$i] in first line) on kdeglobals when it contains a [General] group is
a very bad idea.
--
Ask Holme
"If you can't beat it, then just pretend it was your idea in the first place"