[Kde-kiosk] Documentation and examples

Mike Ely kde at phoenix.k12.or.us
Wed Nov 12 19:13:07 CET 2003

Hey all,

I've started looking at the README.kiosk file, and so far it doesn't
seem to be much help to me - probably just my learning style, but I'm
lost.  Basically, what I'd like would be an example config file to do
something close to the following (if it's not exact, that's fine.  I
can hack it.  But I have no clue where to even start at this point):

Computer boots and logs into a default user, launches konqueror and
goes to a specific website.  No kicker, no bells, whistles, nothing.
User can't use any other application unless it's embedded in konq (such
as gv - there will be a need to access PDF files), can't see the
desktop nor change printer.  It's okay for the user to browse other
websites but I do need to disable local file access to konq as well as
the "browse up" button.  Files can't be downloaded except for /tmp
stuff of course - but no download manager.

As I'm a front-line support tech, I don't have nearly as much time as
I'd like to learn the inner workings of KDE.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,
Mike Ely
Phoenix-Talent School District #4