[Kde-kiosk] More run_desktop_files confusion

Russell Brown russell at lls.lls.com
Fri May 2 14:30:58 CEST 2003

HELP!! I'm going round the twist :-( Having spent more hours battling
run_desktop_files I've gone for a simple testcase to try and track
things down.

This is on a SuSE 8.1 box with KDE 3.1.0.  I have no kdeglobals. There
is no KDEDIR or KDEDIRS in the environment.

kde-config --prefix says:

/opt/kde3

kde-config --prefix data says:

/home/testuser/.kde/share/apps:/opt/kde3/share/apps

/etc/kde3rc consists of only the following two lines.

[KDE Action Restrictions]
run_desktop_files=false

In /opt/kde3/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop
I have an xterm.desktop file (copied from
/opt/kde3/share/apps/kappfinder/apps/Utilities/XUtilities/xterm.desktop).

I have the identical (apart from the filename and Name entry in the
.desktop file so I can tell the difference) file in ~testuser/Desktop

Both desktop entries are always shown on screen no matter what the
setting of run_desktop_files (this seems wrong) - and yes I do logout
testuser after changing it.

With run_desktop_files=false I get "You are not authorised to execute
this service" when I click on EITHER icon; despite the fact that one lives
in /opt/kde3/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop ie the default desktop location.

With run_desktop_files=true I get an xterm when I click on EITHER icon
(as I'd expect).

I know I must be really really really stupid but this is driving me
bonkers and I cannot see what might be wrong.

Perhaps tackling it from another angle will help? What I'm trying to do
is have a tiered set of KDEDIRS ie: /local:/standard:/opt/kde so that
I can install a standard locked down set in /standard, provide local
tunable things in /local and then pickup the distro settings from /opt/kde
(unless they've been immutably overridden by the preceeding stuff).

I want the user's desktop to have stuff from /local & /standard Desktops
and I do not want the user to be able to create and run .desktop entries
from anywhere else.

I though that run_desktop_files was the thing that made this
happen.... but it just doesn't work for me :-(

PS - In README.kiosk under the "run_desktop_files" section it says:

* The default desktop includes the files under
  $KDEDIR/share/kdesktop/Desktop but _NOT_ the files under
    $HOME/Desktop.

Shouldn't this read .... $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop ??

--
 Regards,
     Russell