[Kde-kiosk] Eeeck! config options are case sensitive!

Russell Brown russell at lls.lls.com
Thu May 1 17:02:37 CEST 2003

Quoth Waldo Bastian.....

>On Thursday 01 May 2003 12:22, Russell Brown wrote:
>> This has just bitten me in the nether regions and sent me into a tailspin
>>
>> :-( Options are (sometimes???) case sensitive (this is KDE 3.1.1a).
>
>Almost everything in Unix is case-sensitive. Better get used to it quickly.

Oh I'm used to it (been using Unix since V6 :-)

What isn't nice is that the KDE options are case sensitive but not
consistent!

For example in kdesktop do grep -i 'readboolentry("enabled' *

desktop.cc: m_bDesktopEnabled = configGroup.readBoolEntry("Enabled", true);
kdiconview.cc:    m_enableDevices=config->readBoolEntry("enabled",false);
lockeng.cc:    bool e  = config->readBoolEntry("Enabled", false);

So that's two with an upper case 'E' and one with a lowercase 'e'. This
really really isn't smart and *will* cause KDE admins to tear out their
hair :-(

--
 Regards,
     Russell