[Kde-kiosk] Starting konqueror in fullscreen

David Rippel RippelD at hillsboroughcounty.org
Mon May 5 17:06:13 CEST 2003

I'm in the process of remastering Knoppix to provide a konqueror kiosk. I've been trying to get konqueror to start in fullscreen mode without any luck. I've tried Martin Schimmels' konqFS.pl script that was posted to this list but it does not result in true fullscreen mode - it just maximizes the window. I noticed a bool fullScreen with dcop konqueror konqueror-mainwindow#1 but I think it's read-only (tried dcop konqueror konqueror-mainwindow#1 setParameter fullScreen 1 w/o success).

I keep coming across the thread below with google. Does anyone know the exact dcop command to do this?

Thanks,

David.

---
14 May 2001 (8 posts) Archive Link: "[Fwd: Using Konqueror in Kiosk mode]"
Topics: Konqueror
People: Cristia'n Meji'a, David Faure, Michael Reiher

Konqueror continues to spread in usage as it becomes a more capable browser. Since browsers are used just about everywhere these days, it was only a matter of time until someone wanted to use Konqi in a kiosk. That day arrived when Cristia'n Meji'a wrote to Michael Reiher (who then forward it to the kfm-devel list) saying, "We need to install several low profile machines for a kiosk network that must be fool-proof. We love th KDE environment, and instead of using the standard kiosk config (with netscape 4.x) we want to use the Konqueror browser. But, for this use, we need to start the app in full screen mode and with the right mouse click disabled. If you know that this is possible, please let me know!!, I can arrange some support for your work (maybe not too much), but will help all the GNU development."

In response David Faure said, " You can use the "dcop" or "kdcop" tool to activate fullscreen mode automatically, but you need to hack the source if you want to disable the right-mouse popup. That's as simple as commenting out the connect()s to the "popupMenu" signals in konq_view.cc" Michael then asked if it would be appropriate to add an enablePopupMenu(bool) dcop call to Konqueror. In reply David said, " If it helps anyone, yes. But is that really enough ? As others said, there's probably much more to hack to turn konqueror into kiosk mode, no ? My point is, if it can all be done with dcop calls, then that's great and let's go for it. If hacking the source is needed anyway, then one dcop call instead of a patch won't help much." Michael agreed with David and clarified what he intended to do saying, " My intend was to provide a patch which adds a dcop call to disable menus, first. So we could "collect" some patches that are neccessary to get a proper kiosk mode as the need arises. All accessible via dcop. So some day there is a sequence of dcop calls to make a konqueror run in kiosk mode (or perhaps provide a goKioskMode() call for convenience)."

So while Konqi is already partly ready out of the box for true kiosk mode it looks like it will soon be possible to send Konqi into a full kiosk-style browser mode with a single DCOP call. Very nice.