[Kde-kiosk] Printing wo the dialog

Waldo Bastian kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:24:22 +0100

On Sunday 09 March 2003 08:51, Dag Nygren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> already asked on the kde-linux list but was told
> that this probably is a better place to get the answer
> I am looking for.
>
> The story is that I am doing a very simple Kiosk
> application here with a Konqueror with limited
> access to certain webpages together with
> some programs of our own.
>
> The problem is that you should be able
> to print from Konqueror, but I really wouldn't
> like any print dialog to confuse the "poor" user.
> There isonly  one printer, they get one copy and so on.
>
> Is this doable with the current Konqueror or do I need
> to dig into the source and modify it?

I doesn't seem to be possible with KDE 3.1. I had a look at it and I intent to
add the following KIOSK options:

printer_system=false
	Do not give the user an option to change the print system.

printer_selection=false
	Do not give the user an option to select a printer, use the default printer.
	This option implies printer_system=false.

printer_copies=false
	Do not give the user an option to make more than 1 copy.

printer_dialog=false
	Do not give the user a print dialog at all. Print directly.

It should be noted that print-preview is currently an option grouped with the
printer selection. I think that's a questionable decision from a UI point of
view. I think a seperate "Preview" button next to "Print" would be more
appropriate.

If the printer dialog isn't shown at all, the user will not be able to select
specific pages it would like to print (Not really an option in konqueror
anyway) nor have access to konqueror specific print options (Printer friendly
format, images on/off, headers on/off).

I would like to hear from people who are interested in reducing the
print-related options available in their organisation whether the above KIOSK
options would meet their needs. I will hopefully be able to add basic support
for KDE 3.1.2 already, although changes such as the introduction of a
seperate preview button will have to wait for 3.2.

bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com