[Kde-kiosk] Classroom control

Waldo Bastian kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:25:00 +0100

On Friday 24 January 2003 21:56, Christopher Dawkins wrote:
> The $KDEDIRS system for setting all my users (currently still testing on a
> subset) is working well - many thanks to Waldo - just with $KDEDIRS set to
> ~kdelock1/.kde/.  There remain a few minor problems :-(
>

> a) Can I remove the "Bookmarks" entry? Partly because I am trying to
>    simplify, but also because it crashes kicker.

In KDE 3.1 (*), yes. Add the following to kdeglobals:

[KDE Action Restrictions]
action/bookmarks=false

> b) Can I remove the "Configure Panel" entry?

In KDE 3.1 (*) you can lock the complete panel by adding [$i] to the top of
your kickerrc file. That means that the user can no longer make any changes
to the panel and all menus related to changes will be hidden.

> c) Can I remove "Lock Screen" from the system?

In KDE 3.1 (*), yes. Add the following to kdeglobals:

[KDE Action Restrictions]
lock_screen=false

> d) I have configured a very nice "kcharselectapplet" for user
>    kdelock1 but other users get the default kcharselectapplet
>    characters. The only way round this seems to be to softlink
>    from all user config directories to the one in ~kdelock1
>    (this works, but is not elegant).

Hmm.. seems to work just fine here. Does it use "kcharselect_panelappletrc" as
config file? Does you kickerrc has a line with
"ConfigFile=kcharselect_panelappletrc" ?

(*) It will be available Real Soon Now from
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.1
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com