[Kde-kiosk] Is Kiosk what I need?

Dylan kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:39:56 +0000

On Friday 28 February 2003 13:10, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 18:30, Dylan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've read the readme, but seem to be none the wiser. I'm wanting to do
> > the following:
> >
> > On boxes in the childrens' bedrooms:
> > A: Boot directly to their user account without login.
>
> You can configure this in KDM (Control Center -> System -> Login Manager)
> in the Convenience tab.
>
> > B: Shutdown automatically at logout, without option to 'login as
> > different user'
>
> You can configure this in KSMServer (Control Center -> System -> Session
> Manager). You can at least configure that "shutdown" is the default action.
> Not sure if that still gives you a chance to select something else as well.

Nice one - in 3.0.5 it still showed the logout confirmation if a default was
chosen, but no more.

> > C: remove access to any app which will ask for a root password.
>
> Add the following to kdeglobalsrc:
>
> [KDE Action Restrictions][$i]
> user/root=false
>
> (That one was covered by the readme ;-)

sure, now I understand what it does...

> > On my user account, I use two different machines, one in my office with
> > 21" monitor running at 1600x<whatever> and onr in the living room with
> > 17" running at 1024:
> > A: Have the desktop metrics reflect the machine I'm on,
>
> I do not understand what you mean with this.

on the 21", I need the icons and panel set to large sizes which dominate the
17", conversely if I set the sizes to reflect the 17" they are unusable on
the 21". I noticed that I can use the hostname in the configs, but I don't
see how I can use that info to effect this behaviour.

> > B: Display the appropriate device icons on the desktop.
>
> In Control Center -> Desktop -> Behavior you can select "Display devices on
> desktop" and which devices should be shown and which not. This is combined
> with the actual devices that are found (enter "devices:" as URL in
> konqueror)
>
> You may have device-links in the form of .desktop or .kdelnk files in your
> ~/Desktop directory already (I have). You should remove those otherwise you
> have them double :)

That'll be it, it works fine now...

> You can also go the manual route and copy on each machine appropriate
> .desktop device links to $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop. Those will
> then be shown to every user that logins on that machine.

That's one to play with, I think

Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation