[Kde-kiosk] kiosk mode howto - web browsing only computer..

Joost Hietbrink kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:51:26 +0100

From: "Bill Kendrick", Thursday, February 13, 2003 8:37 PM

> Your problem here is that you'll need to set up Mozilla so that it
> doesn't launch any arbitrary programs, allow the user to open random files
> off of the filesystem, or save downloaded files to the filesystem.

Hmm... so the KDE window manager doesn't have any control over programs such
as Mozilla?

> I've set up Konqueror to do most of that using the kiosk framework.
> (It's still not finished, which is unfortunately why I haven't been able
> to release the box back to its owners, so they can put it out in the
public.)

I already thought Konqueror would be a better shot but it doesn't support
some websites I tried it on...
But if I'm going to use Konqueror what will be my first steps to turn it
into a "web browsing only" computer?
Can you tell me of some readme files or something?

> I'm not sure how to do all of that under Mozilla.  Before choosing KDE 3
> because of the Kiosk framework, I looked into Mozilla.  There's apparently
> a 'kiosk' version of Mozilla.  (Using 'skins', or whatever it has...)
>
> It was very unfinished, and amazingly, horribly ugly. :^(

But the website does look nice ;) (http://kiosk.mozdev.org/)..

Joost