[Kde-kiosk] kiosk mode howto - web browsing only computer..

Bill Kendrick kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:37:22 -0800

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 05:11:20PM +0100, Joost wrote:
> I would like an old computer to do the following:
> - run kde.
> - run mozilla (with all plugins like flash etc).
> - maybe run a calculator program and some games.
> and NOTHING more.. so my question is a simple one ;) :
> How should I do this?
>
> This will be a computer accessable by anyone so it should NOT be possible to
> do anything but surfing the web!

Your problem here is that you'll need to set up Mozilla so that it
doesn't launch any arbitrary programs, allow the user to open random files
off of the filesystem, or save downloaded files to the filesystem.

I've set up Konqueror to do most of that using the kiosk framework.
(It's still not finished, which is unfortunately why I haven't been able
to release the box back to its owners, so they can put it out in the public.)

I'm not sure how to do all of that under Mozilla.  Before choosing KDE 3
because of the Kiosk framework, I looked into Mozilla.  There's apparently
a 'kiosk' version of Mozilla.  (Using 'skins', or whatever it has...)

It was very unfinished, and amazingly, horribly ugly. :^(

--
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick