[Kde-kiosk] Locking everything except mozilla launcher.

Waldo Bastian kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:08:21 +0100

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 16:39, Prabu Subroto wrote:
> Hi everybody....
>
> I am using KDE 3.0.x not yet 3.1 and SuSE Linux 8.1 .
>
> I have written a web enabling database application
> with PHP4. The users use the application with internet
> browser mozilla.
>
> My boss said that his sellers may only use the
> internet browser for the database application.
>
> So how can I lock everything in KDE 3.0.x ?

I think you basically just don't want to start most of KDE.

Edit the startkde script and:
* Remove the part with kpersonalizer
* Remove ksplash
* Change
	LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify
into
	LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify +kwin

* Replace
	kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
  with a command to start mozilla.

When mozilla exits, the user will be logged out.

You can use/change xsetroot to change the background.

If you want to have a panel you can add "+kicker" behind "+kwin", in that case
you probably also want to use KDE 3.1 and subsequently lock kicker down.

Since mozilla is not part of KDE, I don't know if/how you can tell mozilla
that it should only be used for the database application and not for e.g.
www.slashdot.org.

In case mozilla doesn't support it (But I suppose it does) you can use
konqueror of KDE 3.1, which allows you to restrict the things it can browse.

All of the above suggestions are out of the top of my head and untested but
should get you in the right direction hopefully :-)

bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com