[Kde-kiosk] desktop only

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Apr 18 15:00:34 CEST 2003

On Friday 18 of April 2003 13:52, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been playing around with KDE kiosk mode. What I want to achive is that
> for a certain user, only a desktop with two or three preselected programs
> is shown. As soon as he logs of, the session is closed.
>
> I've been partially successful using the following .xsession file:
>
> ===
> /usr/bin/kwin &
> /usr/bin/konqueror http://www.mywebsite.com
> ===
>
> Konqueror starts, and as soon as it is closed, the X session is being
> closed as well.
>
> Now I wanted to start the desktop instead of Konqueror, however, it does
> not seem to work.
>
> ===
> /usr/bin/kwin &
> /usr/bin/kdesktop
> ===
>
> The session starts, but gets killed immediately.
>
> Do you have any ideas on how to achieve my goal? I'm on KDE 3.1.1a.

 As soon as the execution of .xsession is finished, the X session will be
terminated. That's why it exits after Konqueror quit in the sooner case, and
that's also why it exits immediately in the latter case (because kdesktop
forks into background).

 You could either run ksmserver as the last in .xsession, that would require
normal logout in order to exit the session, or you could run kdesktop as
'kdesktop --nofork', in that case kdesktop would run without forking, and
since it shouldn't exit under normal conditions, you'd have "eternal"
session. In the ksmserver case, you should most probably force its
configuration to always start new empty session.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org