[Kamoso] Re: QtGstreamer and kamoso

George Kiagiadakis kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 12:01:57 CET 2010

Hello,

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi QtGstreamers!,
> Since Mauricio told me about QtGstreamer some time ago, we've been
> discussing with Alex Fiestas to port Kamoso [1] to use QtGstreamer [2]
> instead of VLC for some technical difficulties.

Cool.

> I have a couple of questions concerning QtGstreamer before giving it a try:
> - When is the first version of QtGstreamer planned? Looks like no
> distribution is packaging QtGstreamer for the moment.

Yes, it is not yet packaged as it is considered
unstable/work-in-progress, but I think that with the current rate that
Mauricio works it should be possible to have a release quite soon (a
few weeks perhaps). However, I believe that 95% of the API is already
stable and won't change, so you could start working on a port now and
have it ready by the time that QtGStreamer will have its first stable
release.

(What do you think, Mauricio?)

> - Do you think we could get a working prototype in the current QtGstreamer
> state? Let's say create the display widget and being able to record and take
> pictures from it.

Yes, it should be possible with the current QtGStreamer. I had a look
at what Cheese does (the gnome photo capturing tool) and it looks like
the basic pipeline for preview, capturing and using effects is
possible to be written with QtGStreamer.

I will be happy to answer any further questions that you may have
regarding anything regarding this port, from basic GStreamer usage to
QtGStreamer-specific things.

Regards,
George