Re: 倉庫番ゲーム

Fumiaki Okushi fumiaki.okushi @ gmail.com
2022年 10月 4日 (火) 00:24:37 BST

I want to point out that "victory" makes another suggestion below (not
mentioned in Engish) - 蔵当番 (kuratoban) - which I think is another good
candidate.

Again, just to help Friedrich understand the differences,
the 蔵 (kura) means the same,
but the 番 in 蔵番 and 蔵当番 would mean differently (at least in my mind).

The 番 in 蔵番 would mean a watch (a person) as in a watch guard (but less
so of the aspect of a guard).
Some examples of 番 with the same meaning would be:
留守番, where 留守 means to be away from home, and as a compound term, it
means a person who watches over the house when the rest of the family
members are away.
電話番, where 電話 is a phone (a device), and as a compound term, it means a
person who watches over the phone in case someone calls.

The 番 in 蔵当番 or 当番 is a turn of role or responsibility, and 当番 is the
person who has the current turn.
If you live with housemates, you may take turns cleaning the house.  In
that case, you have 掃除当番, where 掃除 means cleaning.

The "o" in kuratoban is a long vowel.
If pronounced with a short vowel, I don't think it would mean anything.

Hope this helps.

Fumi(aki) Okushi

ps) I agree with "victory" on 蔵 vs 倉庫 below.
My explanation wasn't as good as I had hoped..
Thanks for adding to the discussion..