[KDE-India] Fwd: [fedora-india] [Fwd: [blug-non-tech] FOSS.IN/2008: The Omelette Post :)]

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 18:15:03 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Prateek Sharma <prateek3.14 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why is it anybody's 'responsibility' to see increase in FOSS
> contributors?. Why the insane chauvinistic feeling the organizers want
> to imbibe?
> Isnt this the worse form of elitism that all 'open' people (Hackers,
> Feynman in particular) hate? "No you are not good enough for us, go
> away". I am shocked at this kind of attitude being 'sold' to people in
> the name of doing good to FOSS community in india.

The sad part is people _want_ to be accepted at FOSS.in. If I started
a conference and did not consider you elligible for it, would you even
care? Then why such a big hue and cry about foss.in? Because of the
illusion that has been created that you have to be certified by one of
these big conferences. Which is why I said earlier that there is too
much of 'organisation' in the Indian foss 'community'.
I hope that this chain of events will lead everyone to give this a
serious thought. And I say that about all such conferences (including
the one I help organise) because thats where all of them seem to be
heading. I know I am going to get a lot of stick from all the
organisers, because I am in a way diminishing their importance in the
foss 'market'.
Yeah. Today we don't have a foss 'community'. We have a foss 'market'.

-aditya