[KDE-India] Fwd: [fedora-india] [Fwd: [blug-non-tech] FOSS.IN/2008: The Omelette Post :)]

Prateek Sharma prateek3.14 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 14:32:32 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Rajeev J Sebastian
<rajeev.sebastian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Aditya Godbole <aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  Hmm. Also I still haven't been
>>> given an acceptable definition of 'contributor'.
>>
>> (fixed _topic)
>>
>> Contributors are contributors. Don't accept others definitions and
>> just contribute what you are doing. Omelette post obviously says that
>> translators, packagers (Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/Any distro developers),
>> patch submitters, bug hunters are/will not count as eligible
>> contributors in foss.in/2008.
>
> Personally, I feel this is a great step taken by the floss team. So
> Kudos to them. And yes the aforementioned do not seem to be *eligible*
> contributors for the *meet*, even though their contribution are indeed
> real, true, appreciated and welcome contributions (umm ... except for
> patch submitters who do seem to be eligible in some way, depending on
> what you mean by "patch").
>
> For a country with the second largest population in the world, and
> supposedly also a "software powerhouse" as per various trade
> magazines, our level of engagement with FLOSS has been far too low ...
> where are all the Pradeeptos and Gopals of India ? *That* is why this
> is important.
>
> Regards
> Rajeev J Sebastian

I am not a contributor by the FOSS.IN definition, but here goes:

Why is it anybody's 'responsibility' to see increase in FOSS
contributors?. Why the insane chauvinistic feeling the organizers want
to imbibe?
Isnt this the worse form of elitism that all 'open' people (Hackers,
Feynman in particular) hate? "No you are not good enough for us, go
away". I am shocked at this kind of attitude being 'sold' to people in
the name of doing good to FOSS community in india.

If its a logistical problem managing the crowds at the conference its
OK to say so, but hoping that people will benefit from it when turning
them down is your biggest motto is stupid.

Give the elitism a break, its not going to help anybody.