[KDE-India] FOSS.IN/2008: The Omelette Post :)]

Atul Chitnis mail at atulchitnis.net
Thu Oct 2 10:49:21 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Aditya Godbole wrote on the KDE-India list, at
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-india/2008-October/000764.html :

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Tejas Dinkar <tejasdinkar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008, Aditya Godbole sent out 29K bytes to say:
>> Was your suggestion to the list this post:
>>
>> Made after the event announcement? It's kinda funny to accuse someone of
>> plagarism when the event announcement is already out.
>>

> Thanks for the link, I was searching for it. If you follow the thread,
> you will be able to see the reluctance on the list to accept my
> suggestions. Not to mention the ancient 'gyan' of 'code is a metaphor'
> and 'foss.in is about ... contribution' being thrown about everywhere
> and mostly where it is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
> I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm only glad that one way or
> other, my suggestion is being implemented.

Too much pride, Aditya, too much pride.

First of all, let's get something clear - you or your post had absolutely
*nothing* to do with how FOSS.IN is changing. In fact, i don't even see
any similarity between your brief post and what the format is this year,
other than a few very generic references here and there. And the rejection
didn't come from me - it came from other people, real, recognized hackers
and contributors.

FOSS.IN/2008 is based on discussions and feedback I have been having over
the past few years with actual contributors and hackers who understand
things a lot bit better than I do. You may have heard of some of them, if
not, feel free to visit the "past speakers" page on foss.in to refresh
your memory.

And these discussions precede your remarks by years.

You refer to a few rather throw away, flippant remarks you made on the
list, in an attempt to position your opinion (one that didn't really show
up, because there wasn't any, other than "I am too good for this
conference").

My reply to you was very clear:

There was no reply from you as far as I can see, other than you
unsubscribing from the list.

Nothing has changed in our stand. We have not changed our definition of
"contributing" (btw - it would be good to see some of your contributions
that position you as someone to stand and judge us) - we just said that we
are going to focus more on the actual development part of the contribution
process.

Your shameless rant, in which you attempt to smear anyone who gets to
speak/present at FOSS.IN/2008, is one unbecoming of even you (who has been
notoriously criticising the event since the Linux Bangalore days), and I
think you owe an apology to all contributors who have participated, or
will participate in FOSS.IN or any other FOSS event in India.

I have never seen a more offensive, insulting and disgusting post by
anyone. You have clearly shown just how much you understand about
community.

Congratulations, Aditya, you have created history. Now go celebrate.

-ac