[KDE-India] Fwd: [fedora-india] [Fwd: [blug-non-tech] FOSS.IN/2008: The Omelette Post :)]

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 08:31:11 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Tejas Dinkar <tejasdinkar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008, Aditya Godbole sent out 29K bytes to say:
> Was your suggestion to the list this post:
>
> Made after the event announcement? It's kinda funny to accuse someone of
> plagarism when the event announcement is already out.

Thanks for the link, I was searching for it. If you follow the thread,
you will be able to see the reluctance on the list to accept my
suggestions. Not to mention the ancient 'gyan' of 'code is a metaphor'
and 'foss.in is about ... contribution' being thrown about everywhere
and mostly where it is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm only glad that one way or
other, my suggestion is being implemented.

> In any case, FOSS.IN is a community event, and happily takes suggestions
> from FOSS contributors and delegates.

Exactly my point. Maybe that willingness to accept suggestions should
reflect in the replies on the list.

> And we aren't dropping talks for more workshops/tutorials. We are
> dropping them to have real developers get an opportunity to get together
> and hack on stuff that matters.
>
> As for the definition of contributor, it's in last years CfP, and will
> be there in this year's CfP.

Since you say 'we' I assume you are associated with the organising
team in some way. What FOSS.in is doing this year is great. It is
going to drive a lot of people to stay away from the conference and
work. That is great, because there is just to much of 'organisation'
happening in the FOSS community in India.
FOSS.in is creating an atmosphere where a bunch of contributors can
fuel each other's ego since they were selected. The conference will
thus tempt all those who are left out because their contributions are
not recognised (by someone who has no clue about them) to stay home
and work.
And that is where the action really happens. At the level of the
individual, working in isolation, trying to make his own life a bit
better. And when a few such people get together with a spirit of
sharing, we call it a community. The community is not the people who
are privileged enough to attend FOSS.in. Instead, it is the thousands
of people who don't even answer the call for participation. And this
is not just about FOSS.in, but is applicable to any conference out
there. FOSS.in is helping the community by dividing it. Because it was
being united by illusions. The real contributors need to be left and
peace and not be influenced by conferences.
This is not a tongue-in-cheek dig at FOSS.in. I'm really glad this is happening.

--
aditya