[KDE-India] FOSS.IN/2008: The Omelette Post :)]

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:49:55 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Atul Chitnis <mail at atulchitnis.net> wrote:

> Too much pride, Aditya, too much pride.

Or maybe, just a different vision for free software in India.

> You refer to a few rather throw away, flippant remarks you made on the
> list, in an attempt to position your opinion (one that didn't really show
> up, because there wasn't any, other than "I am too good for this
> conference").

I never said that. All I said was that this conference is not what I
am looking for. Please do not read between the lines. I don't write
between them.

> My reply to you was very clear:

> There was no reply from you as far as I can see, other than you
> unsubscribing from the list.

As I said, that was because I realised that the conference was not for
me. I have no purpose on the list now, hence I unsubscribed.

> Nothing has changed in our stand. We have not changed our definition of
> "contributing" (btw - it would be good to see some of your contributions
> that position you as someone to stand and judge us) - we just said that we
> are going to focus more on the actual development part of the contribution
> process.

I do not need to show you my contributions. I do not wish to be
certified from anyone. I am happy contributing in the manner I am, for
the people who matter to me.
Nor am I judging you. However I am pointing out that the FOSS.in team
is judging the contributors. Which is also fine, btw, as long as it is
acknowledged.

> Your shameless rant, in which you attempt to smear anyone who gets to
> speak/present at FOSS.IN/2008, is one unbecoming of even you (who has been
> notoriously criticising the event since the Linux Bangalore days), and I
> think you owe an apology to all contributors who have participated, or
> will participate in FOSS.IN or any other FOSS event in India.

That is a misconception you have. Please remind me of any instance
where I have criticised LB or foss.in in the past. I was a speaker at
LB 2004 and I loved it. I was at FOSS.in 2005 and I loved it. I was a
speaker at FOSS.in 2006 and loved it. I was there at FOSS.in 2007 and
didn't like quite a few things I saw. Which is why I wrote so strongly
about it, because I care.
As for the apology, I will be glad to apologise to any contributor who
feels offended by my post. I do not say that the contributors who
speak at foss.in are undeserving to speak there. Its just that I don't
think that selection by foss.in is a certificate that someone is a
contributor. I don't define the worth of a contributor in terms of
acceptance by the foss.in jury.

> I have never seen a more offensive, insulting and disgusting post by
> anyone. You have clearly shown just how much you understand about
> community.

You are entitled to your opinions. In case you haven't noticed, our
definitions and knowledge of who all is included in the community are
drastically different. So our understanding of the 'community' is
obviously different. Maybe yours is more accepted by others than mine
is. Thats ok.

--
aditya

PS: If I have offended or sent a wrong message to any contributor
(I'll accept that you are a contributor if you say you are :) ),
please write to me off list.