[KDE-India] Fwd: [fedora-india] [Fwd: [blug-non-tech] FOSS.IN/2008: The Omelette Post :)]

Arun Raghavan arunisgod at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 21:44:46 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Prateek Sharma <prateek3.14 at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Why is it anybody's 'responsibility' to see increase in FOSS
> contributors?. Why the insane chauvinistic feeling the organizers want
> to imbibe?

Why is it anybody's responsibility to do anything? (rhetorical, and
metaphysical discussion would be really OT)

We (Team FOSS.IN) feel there is a need for something (more
contribution from our country, and on a larger scale), we are trying
to achieve it. What we are not doing is forcing anybody to agree with
us or go with our vision. Nor are we questioning the sanity of those
who disagree with us.

Do you remember where KDE India was formed? FOSS.IN/2005. No, we don't
take credit for it. But if we didn't feel that there was a need for
there to be more contribution in India, there'd be one less place for
people to come together and *do* something.

> Isnt this the worse form of elitism that all 'open' people (Hackers,
> Feynman in particular) hate? "No you are not good enough for us, go
> away". I am shocked at this kind of attitude being 'sold' to people in
> the name of doing good to FOSS community in india.
>
> If its a logistical problem managing the crowds at the conference its
> OK to say so, but hoping that people will benefit from it when turning
> them down is your biggest motto is stupid.

I've been at the registration desk practically every year from 2003.
We have _never_ turned away anybody who wanted to register and
participate. And that will not change this year either, or at any time
in the future.

The post you saw was required because things _will_ be different this
time, and we want to (heck, have to) make sure that (most of) the
people who come know what they're coming for and what they can expect.
So I definitely do not get where the charge of elitism arises from.

--
Arun Raghavan
(http://nemesis.accosted.net)