[Kde-imaging] Getting started with kipiplugins

Michael G. Hansen mike at mghansen.de
Wed Jun 19 19:13:14 UTC 2013

Hi Kevin,

On 06/19/2013 12:45 AM, Kevin Dalley wrote:
> I admit that I'm a bit lost.
> I don't see clear instructions and building and testing kipi plugins.

There are some instructions here:

http://www.digikam.org/download/GIT

> I checked out digikam from git.
>
> Ran:
> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON
> -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debian -DDIGIKAMSC_USE_PRIVATE_KDEGRAPHICS=ON
> -DENABLE_LCMS2=ON -DKDE4_BUILD_TESTS=on -DENABLE_PRIVATE_KDEGRAPHICS=ON

It is recommended to use a separate build directory for building, just
create a subdirectory next to the source directory and build there. This
has the advantage that you can easily delete a build when you want to
start over, and also does not mess up your source.

> compiled.
>
> copied kxmlkipicmd_defaultui.rc to $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kxmlkipicmd
>
> Ran:
>   ./kxmlkipicmd --selectedimages /home/kevin/tmp/4db62b8ab6cfd.jpg
>

> No kipi plugins were found, my installed version of kipi is newer than
> the source code version.

Strangely this program is not working on my system right now, either.

However, as far as I know, loading kipi-plugins requires them to be in a
kde plugin directory. I usually install self-compiled stuff to
/usr/local and then on a terminal start:

export KDEDIRS=/usr/local
kdeinit4

This way, the plugins are loaded from /usr/local and not /usr. Note that
this kdeinit4 started here may interfere with other applications
running, so a normally started digikam may also start loading the
self-compiled plugins...

Best regards,

Michael