[Kde-imaging] Re: kolourpaint + kipi

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Sat Jan 22 21:56:16 CET 2011

On 22/01/2011 14:02, Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my name is Martin Koller and I'm currently in the process of reviving kolourpaint
> as announced on kde-graphics-devel and I'm also thinking of integrating
> the kipi-plugin mechanism into it.
>
> But currently I'm not sure if the kipi-plugins are a useful addition
> for kolourpaint, as AFAIK the plugins act on a set of images (files ?)
> but kolourpaint is more for editing single files, without having the
> concept of an "image collection".

You could still benefit from having the ability to export images, like
KSnapshot does, but I agree there is a bit of impedance mismatch between
KIPI and Kolourpaint.

> Are kipi-plugins only meant to act on files or is there also an interface
> which allows to create a plugin acting directly on a QImage, e.g. to
> apply some effect (mirroring, rotating to name the simplest ...) ?

No it only works on files for now. Because not all applications use
QImage (IIRC DigiKam does not use QImage)

> Also I did not find some tutorial what I need to implement for the integration.
> Is there one or do I need to look at some other app which is using kipi
> already to see how it works ?

I don't know of any tutorial, but I may be wrong.

> Another question: what is the difference between the
> kde-graphics-devel mailing list and this one kde-imaging ?
> When to use which ?

kde-graphics-devel is for all applications and libraries hosted in the
kdegraphics/ module. kde-imaging was created specifically to discuss
libkipi and kipi plugins.