[Kde-imaging] Export and Import to IPTC

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 09:03:57 CET 2007

2007/3/9, Carrion, Fabian (GE Money, consultant) <Fabian.Carrion at ge.com>:

>  Hi,
>
> Yeah I have to take care about c++ exception.
>
> I haven't use your libkexiv2 interface because Jesper tells me to use that
> library.

This interface use Exception for you and take a care of IPTC string size. It
a QT like interface, more easy to use than pure C++ using exception.

Ok I had a look at your metadataedit plugin.

> My plugin should map directly ImageInfo datas to IPTC tags and IPTC tags
> to ImageInfo datas.
>
> Right now I maped it that way from info to Iptc:
> Iptc.Application2.Headline   <--  info.title
> Iptc.Application2.Caption    <-- info.description
> Iptc.Application2.Category  <-- album.name

Wrong: "Category" is not a simple string. Use "subcategory" instead category
and set "category" to the 3 char tag explained in IPTC doc.

Also, take a care than IPTC strings are size limited.

Iptc.Application2.DateCreated <-- info.time().toString("yyyy-MM-dd")
> Iptc.Envelope.TimeSent          <-- info.time().toString("hh:mm:ss")
> Iptc.Application2.Keywords     <-- info.attributes().key("Keywords")
> Iptc.Application2.City              <-- info.attributes().key("Locations")
>
> Right now I maped it that way from Iptc to info:
> info.setDescription                  <-- Iptc.Application2.Caption
> info.addAttributes("Keywords") <-- Iptc.Application2.Keywords
> info.addAttributes("Locations")  <-- Iptc.Application2.City
> info.setTitle                             <-- Iptc.Application2.Headline
>
> Just want to know if you agree with this mapping.

Well, in digiKam we have already a mapping interface with IPTC. Your mapping
is a little bit different than digiKam. I recommend you to include this
mapping code in KPhotoAlbum core, not like a common plugin.

Does metadataedit do the same ?

no. this plugin is a metadata tags editor from scratch (EXIF and IPTC).

There is also 2 plugins witch already do a part of your code :

-CommentEdit (from MetadataEdit plugin) about to batch Comments on Exif and
IPTC
-TimeAdjust plugin witch batch date and time in IPTC and Exif.

All my code use libkexiv2, not Exiv2 directly.

If not I can think about an integration between both plugin =)

no, this is not the same. I recommend to put your code in KphotoAlbum core
not kipi-plugins. It's too specific. I have do this with digiKa. My
kipi-plugins are independant of kipi hosts metadata rules. They can be used
from every hosts without break anything.

Also, i recommend to read the IPTC doc. It's important to following this
notice. IPTC is used by pro photograph and require to be following exactly,
else others program witch support IPTC will cannot read properlly the
metadata.

http://www.iptc.org/std/IIM/4.1/specification/IIMV4.1.pdf